Team Hensley

Team Hensley

Friday, July 22, 2011

TEXAS!





Who goes on vacation twice in one month? This moi.

I spent July 7-14 in Texas. It was a super relaxing trip complete with lots of chocolate cake, lots of floating in the pool, a facial, cable television, and tons of much-needed Mama love.

My trip was scheduled around my dear sister's birthday (July 9). Only once have we not celebrated together (and that's 'cause she was in Fiji), so being there was important to me. I totally recommend spending a birthday with Lydia Jones if you ever get the chance. She knows how to do it right. After going to a yoga class, we went to a leisurely lunch. Then she took a nap while I finished up her cake. I thought it was way beyond my skill level, so I'm pretty proud of it--chocolate cake with a strawberry filling, chocolate ganache frosting, and strawberries on top (obviously). Next time, I might change up the frosting, but it was pretty good.




Lyddie, Trevor, Mom, Sarah and her daughter, Scarlet, Daniel, Joe, and Ryan Gregory's sister and mother met up for dinner and merriment. Dad had been in Boston for a business trip, but arrived just in time for cake. Lydia chose to meet at a place close to her house that has a bunch of different food trucks.




The food was good--bbq, burgers, and Pakistani food.










Then we ate snowcones and cake.








It was super fun--good company, good eats, and a good reason to celebrate.






Sadly, these are pretty much all the pictures I have of the entire trip because my camera died and I was too lazy-er, I mean busy-to get a new battery. But, don't fear! I did get one of this pooch:



Like I said, I spent most of my time in San Antonio in my parents' pool. But I did sneak away to Austin for one day.



I picked up a shift at Epoch (the coffee shop I worked at for four years where I met some of my very best friends). I thought this would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone--make some much needed money and see a bunch of people in a short amount of time. I had the pleasure of working with the ever-lovely Amanda Pack. And my bestie Ben Lance gave me a very warm welcome by filling the place with balloons, roses, and my favorite candy (and bunches of it!). He also came and made margaritas during our shift. Was it dreamy? Yes, it was!



**Thanks very much to Amanda for sharing her pictures with me!**














After work, we went to celebrate the wonderful Ariele's 30th birthday. A great lover of sandwiches, she hosted a sandwich making competition. I got to be a judge! The competition was super fierce, but Benji still took home second place.



Being in Austin for one day made me really want to move back. So many good folks that I really, really miss.














Sadly, Shelley was away for work, but I did get a good night's rest in her bed. The next day, my dear friend Lily, who is also on staff for the Campaign to End the Death Penalty, and I got together to scout out locations for the CEDP's national convention (which is in Texas this year for the first time ever!). We had a sushi lunch with her son (5 year old Oscar) who is super fun to be around. He asked me if I wanted to hear his favorite song. When I said, "yes, please!", he hummed the Star Wars theme song very loudly. He is awesome.


I returned to Schertz for more relaxing. A week went by so fast, but I was ready to get back to see my sweet husband. Unfortunately, he had to stay behind to look for jobs and entertain Matt B who was in Chicago. I missed him so and am looking forward to go back for the CEDP convention and Christmas when he will be able to come along. I'm also excited for the fall when Amanda, Shelley, and hopefully my family come up for a visit!





No comments:

Post a Comment